Archive for the ‘file conversion’ Tag
Our rocket scientists have been working hard to make Zamzar better for you over the past few months.
Here’s a quick rundown of the things we’ve been fixing in recent months.
If you’ve noticed any other bugs, or want us to improve anything else with the service please let us know.
- PDF to JPG – In some cases we noticed that very large files (500+ pages) were failing to convert.
- Keynote to PPT – Some Apple Keynote presentations had issues when being converted into Microsoft Powerpoint.
- DOCX to DOC – Some larger .docx files were failing to convert correctly to the .doc format.
Note: We’re still aware of an issue whereby some files with a non-Latin alphabet fail to convert. Our engineers are working to fix this.
- PDF to XLS – A bug in our conversion process caused a number of these conversions to fail. We’ve now fixed this to improve conversion success for these files by over 40%
- PUB to PDF – Files with very long filenames were failing, an issue which we’ve now fixed.
We fixed an issue which had been preventing video file conversions from the popular video sharing website at GodTube. Yay !
- Delivering to your inbox – We’ve improved the way we send email notifications for conversions so that less of them end up in your spam folders.
- Look & Feel – In some email providers (most notably Yahoo Mail and AOL Mail) Zamzar conversion emails looked wonky. We’ve now tidied them up to look all nice and shiny.
We’re broadening our support for Microsoft Office formats, and you can now use Zamzar to convert any of the following formats into Microsoft’s .xlsx format – an increasingly popular spreadsheet format introduced in MS Office 2007:
- csv – Comma Separated Values
- ods – OpenDocument spreadsheet
- wks – Microsoft Works Spreadsheet
- xls – Microsoft Excel Spreadsheet
We hope this conversion will be useful to those of you who receive documents in these formats from colleagues and friends who need them returned in the .xlsx format.
Visio is a popular diagramming program for Microsoft Windows which can be used to create simple visual representations of complex data, from business processes to network topologies.
Visio may be good, but not everyone has it. We hope this new conversion will be useful if you want to share your creations with others who don’t have Visio installed – you can convert .vsd files into pdf documents or images rather than send round Visio files.
In fact Zamzar now allows you to convert .vsd files into any one of the following formats:
- bmp – Windows Bitmap
- gif – Compuserve graphics interchange
- html – Hypertext Markup Language
- jpg – JPEG compliant image
- pdf – Portable Document Format
- png – Portable Network Graphic
- tiff – Tagged image file format
So, what are you waiting for ? Go Miscrosoft Visio converter crazy today – release those diagrams !
We think this feature will be particularly useful for our visually impaired users, many of whom receive documents from friends and colleagues in formats that are difficult for screen readers to access. We also hope this will come in handy for anyone who wants to listen to documents, emails or pdf files on the go – All files are converted into the mp3 format, making them ideal for listening on portable music players such as the iPod.
The full list of supported files which you can convert into mp3 is listed below:
- doc – Microsoft Word Document
- docx – Microsoft Word 2007 Document
- odt – OpenDocument Text Document
- pdf – Portable Document Format
- pub – Microsoft Publisher
- txt – Plain Text document
- wpd – Wordperfect Document
- wps – Microsoft Works Document
Just click to try out Zamzar’s document to speech magic right now, or hit the play button below to hear the text of this post spoken out loud !